Welcome to the 2021 ABA Profile of the Legal Profession
A snapshot of the legal profession
The third annual ABA Profile of the Legal Profession, published in July 2021, includes stats and analysis on:
- Demographics – Lawyers by gender, race and ethnicity
- Growth of the profession 1900-2021
- Number of lawyers in every state and county
- Wage trends
- Law school applications and enrollment
- Law student demographics
- Employment trends after law school
- Bar passage rates
- Law school debt
- Diversity on the bench
- Pro bono work
- Legal technology trends
- Well-being of lawyers, judges and law students
- Lawyer discipline trends
Download the PDF or read the report on your devices!
Responsive & Mobile. Read the Profile report on the go. This year’s report has a fully responsive layout – fits perfectly on various displays and resolution, on desktop screens, laptops, tablets and phones.
Download the full report. Click below to get the entire 140-page 2021 ABA Profile of the Legal Profession.
Pro Bono Work
The ABA recommends that all lawyers perform at least 50 hours a year of pro bono services to those unable to pay.
- 20% of lawyers meet this aspirational goal
- 52% of lawyers provided pro bono service in the past year
- The average lawyer works 37 pro bono hours a year
- Lawyers who are 70 to 74 years old work an average of 58 pro bono hours a year
Message from the ABA President
“The pandemic hit the legal profession in many ways. How hard? The answer is right here, in the 2021 ABA Profile of the Legal Profession.
There is a lot more to learn in this fascinating report, now in its third year. Anyone interested in learning more about the profession’s past – and its future – can find it in the ABA Profile of the Legal Profession.”